EricFitz08

Words, Words, Words

A catalog of my comments and thoughts on books, reading, and writing as well as anything I come across that seems interesting. I used to sell other people's words at an independent bookstore but now I hope to get by on selling my own.

Into the Wild

Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer This was an intense story and one that draws you into some thoughtful reflection. Chris McCandless has inspired wildly divisive opinions but Jon Krakauer imbues his story with the right amount of reverence for all involved. For the man who sought his own trail in life and boldly followed that path even to his own demise, but also for the family and friends that he hurt first when he walked away from their lives and again when he was found in that bus in Alaska. There is a lot to learn from McCandless story, about forging your own trail and throwing yourself into your passions, but also about the lives we touch and the people we can hurt even in a life as low-impact as the one McCandless lived. Whatever his mistakes of practical means-and is it really any worse than so many of the foolish behaviors of young men-he lived in a way so many others only talk about and his story is deserving of our attention.